Cordial invitation to the 2021 International Conference and Annual General Meeting of Church and Peace!
‘And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus’ (Philippians 4:7)
Images of God and Nonviolence
2–5 September 2021, Strasbourg, France
Church and Peace as Europe-wide ecumenical network is united by the peace church witness, the call to non-violence, which is at the centre of the Gospel.
This year, we are exploring the relation between Images of God and Nonviolence, after last year’s conference had to be cancelled due to the pandemic. We will be asking ourselves question about the (widespread patriarchal) image of God:
- Is there a direct relationship between the image of God and the promotion of violence or nonviolence?
- Which images of God promote nonviolence?
- Has peace theology overcome the patriarchal image of God?
Also we ask ourselves personally:
- What image of God do I have? How do I talk about and with God?
- How does this shape my commitment to peace?
- What understanding of God is expressed in the liturgical language and tradition of my community?
- How does it affect the structures of our communities?
- How we contribute to our groups, communities and churches developing a (gender) just theology of peace, a just (liturgical) language and attitudes?
We (also) consider the conference theme to be a contribution to engage with the UN Security Council Resolution 1325 and later resolutions in the context of the Women, Peace and Security agenda. These call for more protection for women from sexual and gender-based violence in conflict situations, promotion of political participation of women, prevention of violence against women through the promotion of women’s rights and gender equality, as well as gender mainstreaming in all areas related to peace and security.
In workshops we will address and deepen individual aspects.
Find more information in the Leaflet for Download.
Centre Culturel Saint-Thomas
2 Rue de la Carpe Haute
67000 Strasburg, FRANCE
The event will be held in compliance with the applicable hygiene regulations.
The entry requirements to France are constantly updated. They are available on the government’s website.
Please register by 4 July so that we know how many will be present. If the registration numbers are too low, an online event will be considered.
Please register before 4 July 2021 via the registration form!